Friday 6 April 2012

G is for Great Expectations


Everyone has expectations.

I sometimes feel burdened by the expectations people have of me. I am expected to do well in school, stay the same unchanged, sweet girl I was at age six and things like that. I really hate to break it to them but I am not overly bright and I've been through things that have changed me. I'm not as nice and trusting as I used to be, but that's just life.

Expectations are a big part of life and it is important not to rely to heavily on them. That, however, is easier said than done. For example, if you constantly pressure people to strive for perfection, they may crack and fall short of your expectations. This is more likely to have a negative effect on them, rather than you.

Falling short of people's expectations can be disappointing and can be upsetting, but it is always important to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and keep going. Perseverance is the key.

When it all comes down to it, the expectations that matter the most are the ones you have of yourself.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Phoebe, this reminds me very much of my life when I was a teenager. It's hard. Sometimes you just have to look after #1 and not worry what others say!

    This is me, Duncan D. Horne, visiting you from the A-Z challenge, wishing you all the best throughout April and beyond.

    Duncan In Kuantan

    ReplyDelete