Monday 12 March 2012

My weekend away.

Hello my angels! I hope you all had a fabulous weekend, I sure did!

My weekend started on Friday afternoon when I went roadtrippin' (as I like to call it) with my mom and Emma. Three and a bit hours later we arrived at our destination: Bathurst. Well, O'Connell to be exact. My mom's really close friend who she met on the first day of college owns a guest property up there called 'Yarrabin' were you can horse ride, bush walk, feed the many animals, swim in the freezing pool and relax in the lovely spa, among other things.

Once a year for the past seven years, a bunch of girls from my primary school have been going up for an annual 'Mother/Daughter Weekend'. It doubles as a bonding experience as well as a fun weekend away. I love it because I get to catch up with girls I only see once a year and also because I love to horse ride.

I have been horse riding for as long as I can remember. I can't remember the exact age I was when I got on a horse, but I was quite young, four or five maybe. Not many people know that I can ride, but I absolutely love it. It is so relaxing and the perfect way to de-stress and clear your head. My mind goes a million miles an hour but when I get on a horse it literally slows down to a crawl. I feel so calm and peaceful when I ride. I don't own my own horse or ride competitively.

The trails at Yarrabin are very quiet and after all these years I know them off by heart. The majority of the trails we ride on go through the extensive forests on the property. For those of you who have never been to Australia, our idea of a forest is made up of gum trees, stringybark, eucalyptus and lots of native shrubs. The main colour palette in the forest consists of greys, browns and dark greens, with a hint of yellow. We often see kangaroos too, but they can be hard to spot as their fur is the same colour as the grass and tree trunks.

I love coming up to the country. It is so nice to get away from the city and forget about everything, even if it is only for a few days. The best thing, besides the riding, is catching up with my amazing friends Courtney, Addie, Mel and Winnie. And Emma, but she's my twin (or Twindizzle, as I like to call her) so I see her everyday. The six of us get on so well and we always have so much fun when we catch up.

Our weekend consisted of riding, deep conversations in the spa, eating oreos with peanut butter, sherbert straws and loads of lollies, staying up all night, taking about two hundred photobooth pictures on my Mac alone, feeding the pigs, rolling down the hill, Singstar, attempting to play darts, numerous Polariods, dancing, making our tiny cabin as messy as possible, watching cheesy TV shows like Big Time Rush, lying under the stars and screaming What Makes You Beautiful at the top of our lungs at least fifteen times a day. All in all, an amazing weekend!

These three pictures are my favourites! I think they represent us really well; fun-loving and totally crazy!

From L-R: Courtney, Me, Mel, Winnie, Emma and Addie. 




Of course, there are always downsides to any upside, and this weekend was no exception. I won't go into detail, but all I will say is this. People are completely unexpected. You may think you know a person but then they do something that completely changes your view of them. Sometimes you may have to secretly listen in on a conversation to find out how certain people really feel about you. But you can't let the haters get you down. As long as you have fabulous friends in your life, who needs people who don't need to be there?! Send your time with people who deserve your attention. People who matter to you.

To quote my beautiful mother: Friendships are finite, they won't last forever. Some may last until death and others may only last a few weeks.

All I can say is that I hope this one lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment